VMware Healthcare Solutions Transform the Cost, Quality, and Delivery of Patient Care from the Data Center to the Point of Care
PALO ALTO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a leading innovator in enterprise software, today showcased how leading healthcare organizations – including HM Health Solutions, Interfaith Medical Center, Sentara Healthcare, and St. John’s Health – are partnering with VMware to embrace digital technologies that drive innovation and growth, deliver personalized experiences, and improve efficiency while managing risk.
“Healthcare is transforming before our eyes. Continued evolution of patient care and engagement models challenge healthcare organizations to not only keep up, but to innovate,” said Michael Robinson, vice president of sales – North America, Healthcare Solutions, VMware. “We continue to work with today’s leading healthcare organizations to drive next-generation, patient-centric care. Our software-defined healthcare IT platform modernizes and protects critical IT infrastructure at the heart of value-based patient care while mobilizing providers with always-on access to patient information from the right device, for the right task, at the right time.”
HM Health Solutions Delivers Value-Added Services to Customers with VMware Cloud Foundation
HM Health Solutions is a Pennsylvania-based IT Service Provider that delivers business solutions to health plan payers serving more than 11 million members, according to the company. “One of the services we offer our customers is to provide them with access to our in-house Windows applications through VMware Horizon, VMware’s Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution, running on VMware Cloud Foundation,” said Joe Elliott, manager of VDI Services, HM Health Solutions. “This solution has provided us with a scalable and consistent hyperconverged infrastructure that supports tens of thousands of virtual desktops across multiple data centers. With VMware Cloud Foundation, we can spin up new customer environments in as little as two hours where it used to take days. The automated lifecycle management adds resiliency to our system by enabling us to simply click a button and patch our entire infrastructure stack.”
Interfaith Medical Center Bolsters Application and Network Security with VMware NSX
Interfaith Medical Center is a critical safety-net hospital for the Central Brooklyn communities of Crown Heights and Bedford-Stuyvesant. The 287-bed nonprofit teaching hospital and its network of ambulatory care clinics treat more than 250,000 patients every year, according to the company. “To help improve patient engagement and care, Interfaith Medical Center set out to share medical information via an improved patient portal. Of course, meeting compliance regulations and improving security for connected medical devices were top priorities as we began this project,” explained Christopher Frenz, assistant vice president of IT Infrastructure, Interfaith Medical Center. “Today, we utilize VMware NSX Data Center for microsegmentation and VMware AppDefense to protect applications on our virtual infrastructure. Integrated with VMware vSphere, the combination delivers complete app-level segmentation for an advanced, least privilege security posture. This solution has helped make securely deploying our patient portal possible, allowing us to meet Meaningful Use requirements in a virtualized environment. That’s a huge benefit to our patients and our hospital.”
Read more about Interfaith Medical Center’s deployment story here.
Sentara Healthcare Achieves Greater Agility and Performance with VMware vSAN
Founded in 1888, Sentara Healthcare is comprised of 12 acute care hospitals with more than 300 sites of care all throughout Virginia and northeastern North Carolina and beyond. “Our IT team at Sentara must quickly adapt to the changing healthcare industry, while ensuring critical technologies are always available. VMware hyperconverged infrastructure has been our ticket to greater agility and performance,” said Matthew Douglas, chief enterprise architect, Sentara Healthcare. “By centrally managing all of our workloads – including Epic RDSH [remote desktop session host] on VMware vSAN – we’ve been able to significantly decrease costs, provide a consistent user experience, and keep downtime to a minimum.”
St. John’s Health Improves Clinician and Patient Experience with VMware Workspace ONE
Based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, St. John’s Health provides expansive health and wellness services to the surrounding community. In a typical year, St. John’s Health admits roughly 1,900 patients, delivers 450 babies, performs 2,750 surgeries, and handles more than 8,500 emergencies, according to the company. “Mobility is critical to new models of patient care, to the quality of life of both patients and providers, and to the competitive advantage of a healthcare organization. On any given day, our clinicians access several applications to provide care to patients from a variety of locations and devices,” explained Lance Spranger, CIO, St. John’s Health. “With VMware Workspace ONE, we’ve been able to provide a more consistent experience as our clinicians interact with patients, ultimately enabling our team to administer a more modern approach to care. As the current trends of consumerism, virtual services, telehealth, and in-home monitoring continue to evolve, the applications and services provided by VMware will allow us to stay ahead of the curve.”
Watch a video interview with Lance Spranger detailing how St. John’s Health is providing its staff with the services they need to provide a quality patient experience, optimized by technology.
Driving Next-Generation, Patient-Centric Care
VMware teams with leading healthcare organizations to reduce IT complexity while enabling the delivery of real-time, connected healthcare that transforms the cost, quality, and delivery of patient care.
- Accelerate Cloud Journey: As healthcare begins to embrace cloud, VMware helps organizations confidently integrate public clouds to scale and extend their businesses, delivering agility, capacity, and resilience, and accelerating innovation. With VMware, IT can build a best-in-class private cloud; extend easily to VMware public clouds; and ultimately run, manage, connect, and better secure any app on any cloud.
- Improve Clinician & Patient Experience: Through anywhere access to patient information across Windows and mobile applications, healthcare is seeking to improve access to patient care in communities and rural areas, to find ways of delivering the best patient care at the lowest price and to drive increased patient satisfaction. VMware unifies user, desktop and mobile management and access to enable a Digital Clinical Workspace that moves with care providers throughout their day. From the outside-of-hours emergency call to the bedside consult, the Digital Clinical Workspace enables more secure and simple access to patient information from the right device, for the right task, at the right time.
- Protect Brand and Data: VMware transforms networking and security by providing a ubiquitous software layer across data center, cloud, and edge infrastructure, maximizing visibility and context of the interaction between users, applications, and data. VMware helps IT transform security by building on a virtualization foundation and moving to a new security architecture that’s layered, segmented, and policy-driven. Across network infrastructure, server, applications, endpoints, and mobile devices, VMware solutions work in tandem with traditional security measures to prevent the lateral movement of threats if, and when, an attack breaches the outer defenses.
Learn more about VMware Healthcare Solutions at www.vmware.com/solutions/industry/healthcare-it-solutions.
- Bookmark the VMware Healthcare Solutions blog
- Get the latest updates from the VMware Healthcare Solutions team on Twitter
- Follow VMware on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
VMware software powers the world’s complex digital infrastructure. The company’s cloud, app modernization, networking, security, and digital workspace offerings help customers deliver any application on any cloud across any device. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, VMware is committed to being a force for good, from its breakthrough technology innovations to its global impact. For more information, please visit https://www.vmware.com/company.html.
VMware, Horizon, VMware Cloud Foundation, NSX, AppDefense, vSphere, VMware Workspace ONE and VMware vSAN are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. This article may contain hyperlinks to non-VMware websites that are created and maintained by third parties who are solely responsible for the content on such websites.
VMware Global Communications